General Resources for Families
Being armed with information about developmental disabilities and autism spectrum disorder (ASD) can help families feel more comfortable as they face new challenges. Some families need to know where to start when one member of the family has been recently diagnosed. Other families face unexpected difficulties as their loved ones with ASD or developmental disabilities learn to be successful in home, school and community settings.
We are dedicated to supporting families by making information and resources more readily available. If you have information that you think would be beneficial to all please email us and we will post the information here.
HELPFUL WEBSITES FOR PARENTS AND CAREGIVERS
- Special Needs Trusts: What Parents and Caregivers Need to Know
- Resources for Kids in Trauma
- Creating a Sensory Friendly Home
- How to Find an Accessible Apartment
- Making Special Education Work for Your Child During COVID
- Features of Accessible Apartments
- Coping with Covid Stress
Advocates of Children of New YorkA Great Resource for Students with Disabilities and Special Education
Information about special education law, education law and advocacy for children with special needs.
- Understanding Special Education
A comprehensive website on special education that includes a glossary of terms, details and discussion on the IDEA Act and more.
- Blog site: Lainie of Leisure
Journey of a 十大靠谱棋牌游戏 mom in NYC who understands the facets of life with a child with special needs.
- Sensory Gyms in Queens
This list of accessible gyms for children with special sensory needs is great for a rainy day, or any day you want to get children moving!
- Autism Family Online
- This site is for parents, family members, educators, Speech Pathologists, therapists and others who work to support the learning and living needs of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders and related learning challenges.
- Weighted Vests
Children with autism and ADHD may get anxiety relief from a weighted vest developed by NYKNYC.